This LIBSENSE virtual workshop co-organized by WACREN, UbuntuNet Alliance, ASREN, EIFL, COAR, AfricaConnect 3, OpenAIRE and GÉANT, will convene the African community of repository managers and other open access services and advocates and cover three topics: 1) Open Access, Open Science policies and repositories: what works and what doesn’t; 2) repository infrastructure and services: how to build cohesiveness across layers of local, national and regional services; and 3) communities of practice: how to strengthen open science communities in Africa.
Objectives of workshop
- Raise awareness of LIBSENSE Initiative - previous activities and future plans
- Strategies for Open Access and Open Science policy development
- Models for national and regional approaches to Open Science infrastructures
- Further engaging of the LIBSENSE community of practice
- Introduction to LIBSENSE - 11:00 -11:10 UTC
- What is happening at the national level in different countries? What’s new - Open Science policies, repositories, community building, national coordination in Benin, Burkina Faso, Cameroon, Côte d’Ivoire, Ethiopia, Ghana, Kenya, Malawi, Morocco, Mozambique, Nigeria, South Africa, Tanzania, Tunisia and Uganda (slides) - 11:10 - 12:10 UTC
- Break - 12:10 - 12-20 UTC
- Break out (Arabic, English, French, Portuguese) - 12:20 - 13:20 UTC
Three breakout topics:
- Open Access, Open Science policies and repositories: what works and what doesn’t - Discussion questions: If you have a policy, what things did not work upon implementation? How can that be addressed? Do you plan any policy activities (institutional/national) and how can you collaborate on this?
- Repository infrastructure and services: how to build cohesiveness across layers of local, national and regional services - Discussion questions: Does your institutional repository connect with national, regional and international services? If so how? What are the barriers? What's the status of your national/regional repository discussions? What are the roadblocks?
- Communities of practice: how to strengthen open science communities in Africa - Discussion questions: By what mechanisms do you interact with your peers/colleagues in your country? How can that be improved?
- Report back - 13:20 -13:40 UTC
Next steps - 13:40 - 14:00 UTC
Date: 03 June 2020 11:00 UTC